2014-07-17

I can fly !!!! mixed media painting process


Hi everyone, I am totally in love with Mary Blair's work, that Mindy Lacefield has made a part of her new class named Imagine, play, emerge, as an inspiration.
So today I will show you my process, inspired in this lovely book cover by Mary Blair.
if you like, join me and fly ;)

      

step 1 - Draw a curved line like the one showing in the book cover, with an oil pastel crayon.
step 2 - randomly apply acrylic paint ( I used a turquoise blue and a signal yellow) in some spots to make the ground , blend it with white acrylic paint with a dry brush.


Step 3- cut some different papers and add them to your background with gel medium or other glue you have.


Step 4- with a spatula apply an olive green on top of the papers to get this shabby look


Step 5- spray with a bit of water on top of the green paint and rub it with paper towel to get a more soft look


Step 6 - add more paint to the background, I am using the liquitex paint marker, but you can make with regular acrylic paint



Step 7- I have painted this characters in silk paper with pastel and acrylic paint, so I will cut this out to apply them on my ground with gel medium.

 so cute, right !!!!!


Step 7- draw your flying girl ;) and paint first the flesh tones and hair


Step 8- paint her a red dress and give some details to her hair and dress with oil pastel crayons, use the oil pastel to go around her and bring her more to the front ( I have use a creamy white and bit more of the light portrait pink paint marker)


Step 8 - draw some birds with your oil pastels in transparent silk paper, cut the out


Step 9- you are almost done, glue your birds and with a fine point brush and acrylic paint or black pen write " I can fly".

I hope you enjoyed this process, now go and fly!!!!!!!!!

xox
Susana

5 comments:

  1. Lovely! I also love Mary Blair's work :) :). Thanks for the tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. e se fizesse carimbos das suas meninas?... era uma maravilha ;) Adorei este seu trabalho!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Thank you for sharing this tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks great like all the layers you have used

    ReplyDelete

Wonderful and supportive people say...